Muttville Senior Dog Rescue Reaches 2000 Facebook Likes in Less Than 4 Months
Congrats to Muttville! A pretty awesome achievement. How was it done? Read on….
Back in May, Muttville Senior Dog Rescue had the unfortunate task of replacing a Facebook GROUP page and building a brand new Facebook Business Page. In May, Facebook announced that Group pages were changing in a way that would limit the way Muttville communicates with its members. Another misfortune was the timing. Muttville had just launched its “1000th Senior Dog Rescue” Celebration with several media, press and new online and website material. Alot of marketing and on top of that they had to start a brand new Facebook page starting with 0 Likes!
Muttville actually wished they originally started their Facebook presence with a Business page, but after accumulating almost 2000 members on the Group page, it seemed like a daunting task. Group pages are limited in the level of customization that can be done, so in reality Muttville was missing out on opportunities to reach out to Facebook users as a result of being “stuck” in a Group page. Facebook was not going to accommodate requests from hundreds of Group page owners requesting to change Group pages into Business Pages.
The good news was that the creation of the new Muttville Facebook Business Page could be tied in with the ongoing campaign celebrating Muttville’s 1000th. Switchblade was up for the challenge! We were already a driving force behind the 1000th dog campaign and were already well-tuned with the high level customization tools available for Facebook Business pages.
Switchblade created several custom tabs for the new Muttville Facebook page upon launch:
- Welcome Page with different message for Fans vs Non-Fans that linked to www.muttville.org
- 1000th Rescue Celebration with several links back to www.muttville.org
- Become A Mutt Guardian: a sign up drive was part of the celebration. It led back to a main page on www.muttville.org
- Our First 1000 Dogs: A fun new interactive page showcasing all 1000 dogs rescued to date that lived on www.muttville.org
- Our Mutts; Adopt Me!: Muttville’s RSS Feed of each adoptable dog’s profile was instantly posted on the Wall, and also a custom tab listed the latest 40 dogs for adoption.
- Join the Muttville Family: Muttville is always looking for volunteers, donations, fosters, and adopters. Here was special page that quickly and easily directed folks to the right page to learn more info and sign up.
- Youtube: Videos increase the chances of our dogs getting adopted, and Muttville has a steadily growing library of videos.
- Muttville Merchandise: Muttville’s brand has always been quite popular so Switchblade manages an online store with every possible clothing item imaginable, from human gear (undies, sweats, tees) and doggy clothing and bandanas. Again, it is a feed that directs them straight to the store.
- Muttville “Woofs” You guessed it, here are tweets fed onto a custom tab. Muttville consistently tweets every day, from dog profiles, upcoming events, and sharing informative tweets from its following.
- Check-In: We also merged the “Places” page with the Business Page so that folks could “check in” when dropping by Muttville Manor.
Muttville steadily and consistently grew their Likes on average 10 new Likes per day. At that rate, you can see that they easily would reach at minimum 400 new Likes per month. From June through mid-July, Switchblade managed Muttville’s social media campaign to promote “Moolah For Mutt”, their annual fundraiser. In that time span, numbers were above average with multiple marketing strategies in progress and at that time there was a special custom tab to promote the fundraiser and sell tickets on the event’s webpage.
Interestingly, the 2000th Like arrived at 12:30am of the 16th of September from a fan in Kentucky! That impressive number didn’t stay very long. New fans keep coming every hour. Muttville fans are very active on the page. For new post, interaction occurs within the first 5 minutes, and it is very common to receive at least 10 likes or comments. But Muttville not only shares, they also regularly interact and comment too with their fellow rescues, supporters and fans outside of their page. Muttville engages and interacts with comments, photos and links, and shows their gratitude as often as possible to retailers hosting adoption events, folks who donate, volunteers, fosters, and publications with articles about Muttville. Aside from online activity, Muttville is very active with monthly outreach events every weekend and countless “citizen marketers” who distribute Muttville cards and flyers everywhere they go.
How did Muttville reach 2000 Likes in less than four months? I guess it’s no secret with all this flurry of activity. What about adoption rates, one may ask? Google Analytics for the past week (Sept. 5-11) showed traffic of 17,000 visitors to www.muttville.org. The previous week was slightly higher at 22,000 visitors. Muttville publicist Patty Stanton informed us that Muttville receives an average of 3 adoption application per day. A weekly blog post congratulating the “Adopted Mutts of the Week” reports an average of 6 dogs with new homes per week.
Congrats to Muttville! Now on to the next achievement!!